Categories

Monday, August 8, 2011

Zesty Chicken Enchiladas


I found this recipe in the Real Simple magazine back in 2009. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's "real simple" to make. I have made some additions and subtractions and I think it makes it even better then the already good original. The first time I made this recipe I followed it exactly, it called for 1 lb. of tomatillos. This was very time consuming to peel the papery skin and chop them up. The next time I made it, the grocery store didn't have tomatillos so I had to use a can of tomatillo sauce instead. I could not tell the difference and it saved me tons of time. So from now on that is what I will recommend.

The other day Belinda came over for dinner and she said she was in the mood for something spicy. This recipe is not normally spicy, it called for 1 pablano pepper but those are hard to find in Boston and it doesn't add much spice. So this time I used 2 jalapenos instead, soooooo good! I added a can of green chili, because green chili makes everything better!
Also, you can sub Skim milk for the cream if you want to slim it down...


Ingredients:
1 TB. canola oil
16-20 oz tamatillo sauce (this is sometimes called verde sauce, it can be found in the Mexican aisle. Look at the ingredients if you are unsure)
1 white onion, chopped
1-2 jalapeno peppers
1 poblano pepper (optional)
2 cloves garlic
3/4 tea. cumin
salt and pepper
1 cup light cream
1 2-2 1/2 lb. rotisserie chicken, meat shredded
1 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes, drained
1 4 oz. can green chili
1 1/4 cup grated Monterey jack
8-10 6 inch tortillas


1. Heat over to 400. Heat oil in a lg. skillet over med-high heat. Add onion, pablano (optional), garlic, cumin and 1/2 tea. salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender ~10-12 min. Add tomatillo sauce till heated. Transfer to a food processor, add the cream and puree.

2. In lg. bowl combine the chicken, tomatoes, 1 cup of the cheese, 1/2 cup of the tomatillo sauce, green chili, and 1/2 tea salt and pepper.

3. Warm the tortillas. Spread 1 cup of the tomatillo sauce at the bottom of a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish. Roll the chicken mixture in the tortillas and place them in the dish, seam side down.

4. Top with the remaining sauce and cheese. Bake until bubbly and be until cheese starts to brown, 10-15min. You can serve with Pico de Gallo, Spanish rice and beans.

**Tip for easy flavorful Spanish rice: I get a box of the store brand Spanish rice and add a can of Rotel! So quick, easy and delicious.

2 comments:

  1. I made this again yesterday cause I had a rotisserie chicken I had picked up to pick at before I went out. It was very dry and I didn't want it to go to waste so I shredded it and made these enchiladas with it and they turned out amazing. Also I used skim milk this time and really, there is very little difference in taste. I used part skim cheese as well!

    So moral of the story, if you ever have chicken needing rescuing or want mexican without all the fat, this is a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, drooling over here now. Love Tomitillos/ I may have to try this when I get home. Ill be using corn tortillas though. ;)

    ReplyDelete