Categories

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Hummus

I LOVE HUMMUS!! I do not discriminate, I love all kinds of hummus! Black bean, white bean, homemade, store bought, it doesn't matter, if it's Hummus I like it! That said, if I must buy Hummus I would highly recommend going for Sabra. I'll probably litter my blog with different hummus recipes along the way. I'm going to start with one of the more common types, which you can make with your bean of choice. I'm going with the cannellini bean (aka white kidney beans).

After the parades this year at Mardi Gras, Tall was kind enough to make us batch after batch. It was such a great healthy snack to eat while waiting for our 12 inch fried shrimp and fried oyster PoBoys!
Thanks Tall for the recipe!!

Ingredients:
2 cans cannellini beans (Tall recommends to use a name brand such as Bush's or Progressor. She says it really does make a difference, and if you know Tall, you know to listen to her culinary advice:)
2 garlic cloves
1.5-2 Tbl. Tahini Paste
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
juice of 1 lemon
splash of chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tea. olive oil
handful of cilantro and/or parsley leaves (I used both)


1. Drain the beans and rinse. Combine everything in a food processor. I add the olive oil last so you can determine how much is needed depending on the consistancy.
2. Blend until smooth and creamy.
3. Serve with pita chips, veggies, or my favorite, warm tortillas.


No comments:

Post a Comment