Categories

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cornbread Dressing

This is one of my all time favorites. Growing up we only had it for Thanksgiving and I would look forward to it all year. Now that I'm almost 30 I make my own rules. In my house, I make this recipe year round!!! It is very time consuming (~2 hours) but well worth it!

I contemplated posting it because the pictures do not do this recipe justice, but after sharing with Nicole at work, she requested I share. So you can thank Nicole for this one:)


Ingredients:
4 boxes Jiffy Cornbread Mix (see end of post for Rice Dressing)
2 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
1 large pack pork sausage (preferably Jimmy Dean Hot Sage)
1-2 packs chicken gizzards
1 1/2 onion
1/2 bell pepper
2 bunches green onions
3 ribs of celery
3 pods of garlic
1 Tbs. Parsley (optional)
4-6 boiled eggs
Tony's

1. Make cornbread according to directions on box.
2. Boil gizzards in Tony's about 30min. SAVE the water. Cut the grizzle out of each gizzard. Put in a food processor and chop fine.
3. Brown all the meat together, including the gizzards.
4. Add all chopped veggies except the parsley, and cook about 30min.
5. Add some of the gizzard water for flavor and to keep it moist.
6. Crumble cornbread into meat and chop boiled eggs. Mix thoroughly, add salt, pepper and Tony's to taste. Add parsley just before serving.

NOTE: For thanksgiving my family has cornbread and rice dressing. You can make just 2 boxes of cornbread, half the base mixture and add rice instead of cornbread.

1 comment:

  1. It's my house! I make the rules! hahaha- Love that line, I will use it from this day forward. Glad you posted this recipe, definatly one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete