Categories

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Green Chili Stew

In New Mexico green chili is incorporated into any dish. From pizza to eggs to hamburgers, you will find it on anything and everything. A simple green chili stew is something I'm always looking forward to when I return home. My favorites can be found at Olde Tymers Cafe in Durango, Co, or at Clancy's in Farmington, NM. In an attempt to feel at home anywhere I go, I travel with my roasted hatch green chili, or my lovely mom brings it to me when she visits. Here is a recipe my mom came up with and I continue to tweek on my quest for the perfect Green Chili Stew.

Ingredients:
1 pack green chili (~15-20 roasted green chilies)
oil
1/2 onion, chopped
4-5 garlic cloves, diced
1-2 cups roasted corn
2 cans chicken broth
1 blanched tomato, chopped
1.5-2 Tbs. flour
1 lb meat (chicken, ground pork, ground turkey or pork chops)
dash cumin and ginger
potatoes (optional, I do not like adding these)
salt and pepper
Serve with warm tortilla
Brown meat in a little oil
Add garlic and onions, add flour and mix well.
Add Chili
Season with salt and pepper and add dash of cumin and ginger
Add tomato and chicken broth.
Cook for 30 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. I was very lucky to have a sample of the final product. It was delicious!!! The sweetness of the corn was a nice contrast to all of the spice. And the chicken was so flavorful! Yum!

    ReplyDelete