Categories

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cream of Asparagus Soup

When I cook just for myself I usually turn every recipe I come across into a healthier version of itself. This recipe is no exception and to be honest I have no clue how it tastes when you use the right amount of butter it originally called for (1/4 cup) or half and half instead of skim milk. I'm sure it's great, but I think my healthy version is wonderful and so that is the one I'm posting. If you want to fatten it up, help yourself. Maw Maw Josie and my Dad have always made fun of this aspect of my generation, "half the fat and still tastes like crap!" I have to disagree!!!

You may be asking yourself, why in the world I'm making hot soup when it's almost May? Well, if you live in Boston that means absolutely NOTHING. It's 43 degrees and I have yet to put away my warmest winter coats. So if you need a warm winter soup this is my go to recipe!


Ingredients:
2-3 Tbs margarine
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery chopped
3 Tbs flour
4 cups water
1 can chicken broth
4 bouillon cubes
1 potato, peeled and diced
1 lb. fresh asparagus, trimmed and chopped
3/4 cup milk
1 Tbs. soy sauce
1/4 tea pepper
salt to taste
Serve with dinner roll


1. Melt butter in lg. pot, add onions and celery. Saute until tender ~4 min. Stir in flour and cook for a min. Add water chicken broth and bouillon cubes and stir.
2. Bring to a boil and add diced potato and asparagus. simmer for 20 min. (I save a couple pieces of asparagus to add at the end).
3. Puree soup in food processor in batches, return to pot.
4. Stir milk, soy sauce and pepper in to soup and boil. Adjust seasoning to taste
Thanks to Ronelle for my cute new recipe pad! Gifts for blogging? Now I'm really going to be addicted!!:)

1 comment:

  1. I love this soup. Good write up. I wish I knew of a way to make my blog email me when someone posts a new blog that I am subscribed to. I just happened to be checking my blog and saw you had a new post by accident.

    ReplyDelete