Categories

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Lentil Goat Cheese Burgers

Before going to the store today I couldn't decide what I wanted to add to my grocery list to make for dinner tonight. So I went to one of my favorite food blogs (crumblycookie.net) and picked the first healthy option I saw, Lentil Goat Cheese Burgers. After watching Oprah's vegan episode yesterday I thought eating meatless some days can't hurt. I thought if it turns out to be good, Jill will have another option during her 40 meatless days.

This is my first time cooking with lentils but it will not be the last!

Makes 4 burgers

Ingredients:

3/4 cup dried lentils

salt

bay leaf

1 lg carrot, soarsely chopped

2 garlic cloves

1 Tb. olive oil, divided

1 Tb. balsamic vinegar

4 oz. goat cheese

1/4 cup breadcrumbs

1/4 tea. black pepper

1 egg

for serving: buns, mustard, ketchup, lettuce, tomato

1. Combine lentils, bay leaf, 1/2 tea. salt and 3 cups water in med. saucepan; bring to a boil over med-high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer until the lentils are tender, 18-20min. Drain the lentils, discarding the bay leaf.

2. Meanwhile, process the carrot, shallots, and garlic in food processor until finely chopped but not pureed, about 5 sec. Heat 1 1/2 tea. olive oil in med skillet over med-high heat; saute the veggies with a pinch of salt until softened ~ 5 min. Add vinegar; cook, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced to a syrupy consistency, 1-2 min.

3. Combine the lentils, sauteed veggies, cheese, bread crumbs (I suggest homemade), and pepper in the food processor. process until evenly mixed and finely ground. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Add the egg; pulse until just combined.

4. Divide the dough into four portions; shape. Chill, uncovered, for at least 30min, cover if longer than that.

5. Heat the remaining Olive oil in med to med-high heat. Cook 4 min then flip and cook 6min. SERVE!



I used wheat bread instead of a bun and ate my burger open face. It was so tasty! This recipe is a keeper.

1 comment: